Excerpts from the Koran
|The Holy Quran, translated by 'Abdullah Yusuf 'Ali, idara impex, New Delhi, 2005.|
If critics do provide quotes from the Koran they are usually few in number and referenced in a manner that makes it difficult for an outsider to place them within the source. More importantly, the particular source and/or edition itself is hardly ever mentioned - one has to take their word for it.
To overcome the problem, here are all the passages which represent an aggressive message, purposefully designed to be hostile to anyone not following the rules of Islam, and making a point of differentiating between the believers and the rest.
The quotes have been taken from the text referenced at left, available at Brisbane street stalls. All in all there are 441 pages, a total of 544 relevant quotes have been found, which on average make for 1.23 of such passages per page (to check the calculations download the spreadsheet excerptsfromkorancount.zip).
These numbers matter.
Whatever the religion, the devout are meant to align their minds with the framework of their belief. A text provides the guide, the reader is exposed to the guide and their mind is shaped accordingly. Repetition underscores the message, and the tone of the message gets reinforced as well. How often any message occurs matters therefore to the reader who absorbs a particular meaning over and over again.
How literally such guidance is interpreted depends on the mindset of the reader. The following quotes give some idea as to the way the Koran can influence Muslims around the world - whatever the respective nature of the demographic.
Cognitively speaking, the Koran represents a meta-set of mutually affinitive conceptualisations that can be used to evoke in the recipient a similar mental landscape. Should children with their inherently diminished abstractive capacity be the target of such an indoctrination the cumulative effect is even more significant. The effect is heightened by contextualisation. For example, presenting some content as 'wise' or 'just' instills the notion that what has been absorbed is to be regarded as 'wise' or 'just' regardless of the actual content. As a consequence the recipient cannot be relied upon to provide an unbiased view of their own opinion.
Hence the Koran generates a culture of its own. If imported into another culture it leads to discrepancies with its host, if actively invited into another society the exercise can be described as a form of cultural self-mutilation.
The quotes have been presented exactly as they occurred in the book. The numbers preceding the actual quotes are those used in this publication to indicate the position they hold on any given page. There may be additional words after the number, but if they fall outside the present criteria they have been omitted.
The purpose of this collection is not to provide the respective context within the various topics. What is important is the expression itself and its underpinning mindset. On occasions some background knowledge of the contemporary way of life would help, but its absence does not prevent the reader from recognising the general tone of what is being said. That goes for Muslims and non-Muslims alike.
Just about all of the passages describe a form of torture. In today's Western culture the experience by most of its members would not entail anything along those lines. For example, the recurring reference to being burned may not be entirely related to - except perhaps for its obvious connotation with pain. To show what it actually means being burned alive, here is a contemporary account of one such execution. With that in mind, a passage such as on page 240-104 will be better understood.
As to the question whether these quotes are taken out of context or not, consider this example.
The question is, how exactly does a de-radicalisation program work on people brought up on that kind of fare?
78. And there are among them illiterates, who know not the Book, ... No, those who seek to gain in Evil, and are girt round by their sins - they are companions of the Fire: therein they shall abide (for ever).
84. And on the day of Judgment they shall be consigned to the most grievous penalty. For Allah is not unmindful of what you do.
90. Miserable is the price for which they have sold their souls, in that they deny (the revelation) which Allah has sent down, in insolent envy that Allah of His Grace should send it to any of His servants He pleases: thus have they drawn on themselves Wrath upon Wrath. And humiliating is the punishment of those who reject Faith.
114. For them there is nothing but disgrace in this world, and in the world to come, an exceeding torment.
126. He said: "(Yes), and such as reject Faith - for while I will grant them their pleasure, but soon will drive them to the torment of Fire - an evil destination (indeed)!"
159. Those who conceal the clear (Signs) We have sent down, and the Guidance, after We have made it clear for the People in the Book - on them shall be Allah's curse, and the curse of those entitled to curse -
161. Those who reject Faith, and die rejecting - on them is Allah's curse, and the curse of angels, and all of mankind.
167. Thus will Allah show them (the fruits of) their deeds as (nothing but) regrets. Nor will there be a way for them out of the Fire.
174. Those who conceal Allah's revelations in the Book, and purchase them for a miserable profit - they swallow into themselves naught but Fire; Allah will neither address them on the Day of Resurrection, nor purify them: grievous will be their Chastisement.
175. They are the ones who buy Error in place of Guidance and Torment in place of Forgiveness.
190. Fight in the cause of Allah those who fight you, but do not transgress limits; for Allah loves not transgressors.
191. And slay them wherever you catch them, and turn them out from where they have turned you out; for tumult and oppression are worse than slaughter; but fight them not at the Sacred Mosque, unless they (first) fight you there; but if they fight you, slay them.
211. But if anyone, after Allah's favour has come to him, substitutes (something else), Allah is strict in punishment.
257. Allah is the Protector of those who have faith: from the depths of darkness He leads them forth into light. Of those who reject faith the patrons are the evil ones: from light they will lead them forth into the depth of darkness. They will be companions of the fire, to dwell therein (for ever).
4. Then those who reject faith in the Signs of Allah will suffer the severest chastisement, and Allah is Exalted in Might, Lord of Retribution.
10. Those who reject Faith - neither their possessions nor their (numerous) progeny will avail them at all against Allah: they are themselves but fuel for the Fire.
12. Say to those who reject Faith: "Soon you will be vanquished and gathered together and driven into Hell - an evil bed indeed (to lie on)!
21. As to those who deny the Signs of Allah and in defiance of right, slay the prophets, and slay those who teach just dealing with mankind, announce them to a grievous chastisement.
56. "As to those who reject faith, I will punish them with severe chastisement in this world and in the Hereafter, nor will they have anyone to help.
87. Of such the reward is that on them (rests) the curse of Allah, of His angels, and of all mankind;
88. In that they will dwell; nor will their punishment be lightened, nor respite their (lot) -
91. As to those who reject faith, and die rejecting - never would be rejected from any such as much gold as the earth contains, though they should offer it for ransom. For such is (in store) a penalty grievous, and they will find no helpers.
112. Shame is pitched over them (like a tent) wherever they are found, except when under a Covenant (of protection) from Allah and from men; they draw on themselves wrath from Allah, and pitched over them is (the tent of) destitution.
151. Soon shall We cast terror into the hearts of the unbelievers, for that they joined others with Allah, for which He has sent no authority: their abode will be the Fire: and evil is the home of the wrongdoers!
14. But those who disobey Allah and His Messenger and transgress His limits will be admitted to a Fire, to abide herein: and they have a humiliating punishment.
15. If any of your women are guilty of lewdness, take the evidence of four (reliable) witnesses from amongst you against them; and if they testify, confine them to houses until death do claim them, or Allah ordain for them some (other) way.
16. If two men among you are guilty of lewdness, punish them both.
30. If any do that in rancour and injustice - soon shall We cast them into the Fire: and easy it is for Allah.
55. Some of them believed, and some of them averted their faces from him: and enough is Hell for a burning fire.
56. Those who reject our Signs, We shall soon cast into the Fire: as often as their skins are roasted through, we shall change them for fresh skins, that they may taste the chastisement: for Allah is exalted in Power, Wise.
89. But if they turn renegades, seize them and slay them wherever you find them: and (in any case) take no friends or helpers from their ranks.
138. To the Hypocrites give the glad tidings that there is for them (but) a grievous Torment -
145. The hypocrites will be in the lowest depths of the Fire: no helper will you find for them -
168. Those who reject Faith and do wrong - Allah will not forgive them nor guide them to any way -
169. Except the way of Hell, to dwell therein for ever.
10. Those who reject faith and deny Our Signs will be Companions of Hell-fire.
33. The punishment of those who wage war against Allah and His Messenger, and strive with might and main for mischief through the land is: execution, or crucifixion, or the cutting off of hands and feet from opposite side, or exile from the land: that is their disgrace in this world, and a heavy punishment is theirs in the Hereafter;
36. As to those who reject faith - if they had everything on earth, and twice repeated, to give as ransom for the penalty of the Day of Judgment, it would never be accepted of them, theirs would be a grievous Penalty.
37. Their wish will be to get out of the Fire, but never will they get out therefrom: their Penalty will be one that endures.
38. As to the thief, male or female, cut off his or her hands: a punishment by way of example, from Allah, for their crime: and Allah is Exalted in power.
44. If any do fail to judge by (the light of) what Allah has revealed, they are (no better than) Unbelievers.
45. We ordained therein from them: "life for life, eye for eye, nose for nose, ear for ear, tooth for tooth, and wounds equal for equal."
51. O you who believe! Take not the Jews and the Christians for your friends, and protectors: they are but friends and protectors to each other. And he amongst you that turns to them (for friendship) is of them. Surely, Allah guides not a people unjust.
62. Many of them you see, racing each other in sin and rancour, and their eating of things forbidden. Evil indeed are the things they do.
63. Why not the Rabbis and the doctors of law forbid them from their (habit of) uttering sinful words and eating things forbidden? Evil indeed are their works.
64. The Jews say: "Allah's hand is tied up." Be their hands tied up and be they accursed for the (blasphemy) they utter. No, both his hands are widely outstretched: He gives and spends (of His bounty) as He pleases. But the revelation that comes to you from Allah increases in most of them their obstinate rebellion and blasphemy. Amongst them we have placed enmity and hatred till the Day of Judgment. Every time they kindle the fire of strife, Allah does extinguish it: but they (ever) strive to do mischief on earth.
72. They do blaspheme who say: "God is Christ the son of Mary." But said Christ: "O Children of Israel! Worship Allah, my Lord and your Lord." Whoever joins other gods with Allah - Allah will forbid him the Garden, and the Fire will be his abode.
78. Curses were pronounced on those among the Children of Israel who rejected Faith, by the tongue of David and of Jesus, the son of Mary: because they disobeyed and persisted in excesses.
80. Evil indeed are (the works) which their souls have sent forward before them (with the result), that Allah's wrath is on them, and in torment will they abide.
86. But those who reject Faith and believe Our Signs - they shall be Companions of Hell-fire.
5. And now they reject the truth when it reaches them: but soon shall they learn the reality of what they used to mock at.
6. Do they not see how many of those before them we did destroy? - generations.
39. Those who reject our Signs are deaf and dumb - in the midst of darkness profound: whom Allah wills, He leaves to wander: whom He wills He places on the way that is straight.
42. Before you We sent (messengers) to many nations, and we afflicted the nations with suffering and adversity, that they might learn humility.
43. When the suffering reached them from Us, why then did they not learn humility?
49. But those who reject our Signs - them shall punishment touch, for that they ceased not from transgressing.
165. It is He Who has made you (His) agents, inheritors of the earth: He has raised you in ranks, some above others: that He may try you in the gifts He has given you: for your Lord is quick in punishment: yet He is indeed Oft-forgiving, Most Merciful.
36. But those who reject our Signs and treat them with arrogance - they are Companions of the Fire, to dwell therein (for ever).
37. Who is more unjust than one who invents a lie against Allah or rejects His Signs? For such, their portion appointed must reach them from the Book (of Decrees): until, when Our Messengers (of death) arrive and take their souls, they say: "Where are the things that you used to invoke besides Allah?"
40. To those who reject Our Signs and treat them with arrogance, no opening will there be of the gates of heaven, nor will they enter the Garden, until the camel can pass through the eye of the needle: such is Our reward for those in sin.
41. For them there is hell, as a couch (below) and folds and folds of covering above: such is Our requital of those who do wrong.
71. He said: "Punishment and wrath have already come upon you from your Lord: you dispute with me over names which you have devised - you and your fathers - without authority from Allah? Then wait: I am amongst you, also waiting."
94. Whenever We sent a prophet to a town, We took up its people in suffering and adversity, in order that they may learn humility.
136. So we exacted retribution from them: We drowned them in the sea, because they rejected Our Signs and failed to take warning from them.
166. When in their insolence they transgressed (all) prohibitions, We said to them: "Be you apes, despised and rejected."
177. Evil as an example are people who reject Our Signs and wrong their own souls.
179. Many are the Jinns and men We made for Hell: they have hearts wherewith they understand not, eyes wherewith they see not, and ears wherewith they hear not. They are like cattle - no more misguided: for they are heedless (of warning).
182. Those who reject Our Signs, We will lead them step by step to ruin, in ways they perceive not;
12. Remember your Lord inspired the angels (with the message): "I am with you: give firmness to the Believers: I will instil terror into the hearts of the Unbelievers: smite you above their necks and smite all their finger-tips off them."
13. This because they contended against Allah and His Messenger, Allah is strict in punishment.
14. Thus (will it be said): "Taste then of the (punishment): for those who reject, is the chastisement of the Fire."
15. O you who believe! When you meet the Unbelievers in hostile array, never turn your backs to them.
16. If any do turn his back to them on such a day - unless it be in a stratagem of war, or to retreat to a troop (of his own) - he draws on himself the wrath of Allah, and his abode is Hell - an evil refuge (indeed)!
17. It is not you who slew them: it was Allah: when you threw (a handful of dust), it was not your act but Allah's:
22. For the worst of beasts in the sight of Allah are the deaf and dumb - Those who understand not.
35. On the Day when heat will e produced out of that (wealth) in the fire of Hell, and with it will be branded their foreheads, their flanks, and their backs - "This is the (treasure) which you buried for yourselves: taste you, then, the (treasures) you buried!"
49. Among them is (many) a man who says: "Grant me exemption and draw me not into trial." Have they not fallen into trial already? And indeed Hell surrounds the Unbelievers (on all sides).
68. Allah has promised the Hypocrites men and women, and the rejecters, of Faith, the fire of Hell: therein shall they dwell: sufficient it is for them: for them is the curse of Allah, and an enduring punishment -
74. If they repent, it will be best for them; but if they turn back (to their evil ways), Allah will punish them with a grievous chastisement in this life and in the Hereafter: they shall have none on earth to protect or help them.
95. They will swear to you by Allah, when you return to them, That you may leave them alone. So leave them alone: for they are an abomination, and Hell is their dwelling place - a fitting recompense for the (evil) that they did.
101. Certain of the desert Arabs round you are Hypocrites, as well as (desert Arabs) among the Madīnah folk: they are obstinate in hypocrisy: you know them not: We know them: twice shall We punish them: and in addition shall they be sent to a grievous chastisement.
8. Their abode is the Fire, because of the (evil) they earned.
27. But those who have earned evil will have a reward of like evil: ignominy will cover their (faces): no defender will they have from (the wrath of) Allah: their faces will be covered, as it were, with pieces from the depth of the darkness of Night: they are companions of the Fire: they will abide therein (for ever)!
52. At length will be said to the wrongdoers: 'Taste you the enduring punishment! You get but the recompense of what you earned!'"
69. Say: "those who invent a lie against Allah will never prosper."
70. A little enjoyment in this world! - and then, to Us will be their return, then shall We make them taste the severest Torment for their blasphemies.
17. but those of the Sects that reject it - the Fire will be their promised meeting-place.
18. They will be turned back to the presence of their Lord, and the witnesses will say, "These are the ones who lied against their Lord! Behold! the Curse of Allah is on those who do wrong!
20. They will in wise frustrate (His design) on earth, nor have they protectors besides Allah! Their penalty will be doubled!
98. He will go before his people on the Day of Judgment, and lead them into the Fire (as cattle are led to water): but woeful indeed will be the place to which they are led!
99. And they are followed by a curse in this (life) and on the Day of Judgment: and woeful is the gift which shall be given (unto them)!
106. Those who are wretched shall be in the Fire: there will be for them therein (nothing but) the heaving of sighs and sobs.
5. They are those who deny the Lord! They are those round whose necks will be the yokes (of servitude): they will be companions of the Fire, to dwell therein (for ever)!
6. They ask you to hasten on the evil in preference to the good: yet have come to pass, before them, (many) exemplary punishments!
11. But when (once) Allah wills a people's punishment, there can be no turning it back, nor will they find, besides Him, any to protect.
25. But those who break the Covenant of Allah, after having plighted their word thereto, and cut asunder those things which Allah has commanded to be joined, and work mischief in the land; - on them is the Curse; for them is the terrible Home!
31. But the Unbelievers - never will disaster cease to seize them for their (ill) deeds, or to settle close to their homes, until the promise of Allah come to pass, for, surely, Allah will not fail in his Promise.
32. Mocked were (many) Prophets before you: but I granted respite to the Unbelievers, and finally I punished them: then how (terrible) was My requital!
34. For them is a Penalty in the life of this world, but harder, truly, is the Torment of the Hereafter: and defender have they none against Allah.
35. The parable of the Garden which the righteous are promised! - beneath if flow rivers: perpetual is the enjoyment thereof and the shade therein: such is the End of the Righteous; and the End of Unbelievers is the Fire.
2. Of Allah, to Whom do belong all things in the heavens and on earth! But alas for the Unbelievers! For a terrible Penalty (their Unfaith will bring them)!
7. And remember! your Lord caused to be declared (publicly): "If you are grateful, I will add more (favours) unto you; but if you show ingratitude, truly, My punishment is terrible indeed.
16. In front of such a one is Hell, and he is given, for drink, boiling fetid water.
17. In gulps will he sip it, but never will he be near swallowing it down his throat: death will come to him from every quarter, yet he will not die: and in front of him will be a chastisement of unrelenting.
18. The parable of those who reject their Lord is that their works are as ashes, on which the wind blows furiously on a tempestuous day: no power have they over anything that they have earned: that is the straying far, far (from the goal).
22. For wrongdoers there must be a grievous Penalty."
29. Into Hell? They will burn therein - an evil place to stay in!
30. And they set up (idols) as equal to Allah, to mislead (Men) from the Path! Say: "Enjoy (your brief power)! But, surely, you are making straightway for Hell!"
48. One day the Earth will be changed to a different Earth, and so will be the Heavens, and (men) will be marshalled forth, before Allah, the One, the Irresistible;
49. And you will see the Sinners that day bound together in fetters -
50. Their garments of liquid pitch, and their faces covered with Fire; and, surely, Allah is Swift in calling to account.
35. And the Curse shall be on you till the Day of Judgment.
43. And surely, Hell is the promised abode for them all!
44. To it are seven Gates: for each of those Gates is a (special) class (of sinners) assigned.
49. Tell My servants that I am indeed the Oft-forgiving, most Merciful;
50. and that My Chastisement will be indeed the most grievous Chastisement.
45. Do then those who devise evil (plots) feel secure that Allah will not cause the earth to swallow them up, or that the Wrath will not seize them from directions they little perceive?
61. If Allah were to punish men for their wrong-doing, He would not leave, on the (earth), a single living creature: but He gives them respite for a stated Term: when their Terms expires, they would not be able to delay (the punishment) for a single hour, just as they would not be able to anticipate it (for a single hour).
62. They attribute to Allah what they hate (for themselves), and their tongues assess the falsehood that all good things are for themselves: without doubt for them is the Fire, and they will be the first to be hastened on into it!
63. By Allah, We (also) sent (our Messengers) to Peoples before you: but Satan made, (to the wicked), their own acts seem alluring: he is also their patron today, but they shall have a most grievous penalty.
84. One Day We shall raise from all Peoples a Witness: then will no excuse be accepted from Unbelievers, nor will they receive any favours.
85. When the wrong-doers (actually) see the Penalty, then will it in no way be mitigated, nor will they then receive respite.
88. Those who reject Allah and hinder (men) from the Path of Allah - for them will We add Penalty to Penalty; for that they used to spread mischief.
94. And take not your oaths, to practise deception between yourselves, with the result that someone's foot may slip after it was firmly planted, and you may have to taste the evil (consequences) of having hindered (men) fro the Path of Allah, and a mighty Wrath descend on you.
103. We know indeed that they say, "It is a man that teaches him." The tongue of him they wickedly point to is notably foreign, while this is Arabic, pure and clear.
104. Those who believe not in the Signs of Allah - Allah will not guide them, and theirs will be a grievous Penalty.
106. Anyone who, after accepting faith in Allah, utters Unbelief - except under compulsion, his heart remaining firm in Faith - but such as open their breast to Unbelief - on them is Wrath from Allah, and theirs will be a dreadful chastisement.
108. Those are they whose hearts, ears, and eyes Allah has sealed up, and they take no heed.
109. Without doubt, in the Hereafter they will perish.
112. Allah sets forth a Parable: a city enjoying security and peace, abundantly supplied with sustenance from every place: yet was ungrateful for the favours of Allah: so Allah made it taste of hunger and terror (in extremes) (closing in on it) like a garment (from every side), because of the (evil) which (its people) wrought.
117. (In such falsehood) is but a paltry profit, but they will have a most grievous Penalty.
4. And We gave (clear) warning to the Children of Israel in the Book, that twice would they do mischief on the earth and be elated with mighty arrogance (and twice would they be punished)!
5. When the first of the warnings came to pass, We sent against you Our servants given to terrible warfare: they entered the very inmost parts of your homes, and it was a warning (completely) fulfilled.
7. So when the second of the warnings came to pass, (We permitted your enemies) to disfigure your faces, and to enter your Temple as they had entered it before, and to visit with destruction all that fell into their power.
8. It may be that your Lord may (yet) show Mercy unto you; but if you revert (to your sins), We shall revert (to Our punishments): and we made Hell a prison for those who reject (all Faith).
16. When We decide to destroy a population, We (first) send a definite order to those among them who are given the good things of this life and yet transgress; so that the word is proved true against them: then (it is) we destroy them utterly.
39. Take not, with Allah, another object of worship, lest you should be thrown into Hell, blameworthy and rejected.
58. There is not a population but We shall destroy it before the Day of Judgment or punish it with a dreadful Punishment! That is written in the (eternal) Record.
59. We only send the Signs by way of terror (and warning from evil).
60. We put terror (and warning) into them, but it only increases their inordinate transgression!
64. "Lead to destruction those whom you can among them, with your (seductive) voice; make assaults on them with your cavalry and your infantry; mutually share with them wealth and children; and make promises to them."
75. In that case We should have made you taste an equal portion (of punishment) in this life, and an equal portion in death: and moreover you would have found none to help you against Us!
97. On the Day of Judgment We shall gather them together, prone on their faces, blind, dumb, and deaf: their abode will be Hell: every time it shows abatement, We shall increase for them the fierceness of the Fire.
98. That is their recompense, because they rejected Our Signs, and said, "When we are reduced to bones and broken dust, should we really be raised up (to be) a new Creation?"
2. (He has made it) Straight (and Clear) in order that He may warn (the godless) of a terrible Punishment from Him, and that He may give Glad Tidings to the Believers who work righteous deeds, and they shall have a goodly Reward.
8. Surely what is on earth We shall make but as dust and dry soil (without growth or herbage).
29. Say, "The Truth is from your Lord": let him who will, believe, and let him who will, reject (it): for the wrongdoers We have prepared a Fire whose (smoke and flames), like the walls and roof of a tent, will hem then in: if they implore relief they will be granted water like melted brass, that will scald their faces. How dreadful the drink! How uncomfortable a couch to recline on!
40. It may be that my Lord will give me something better than your garden, and that He will send on your garden thunderbolts (by way of reckoning) from heaven, making it (but) slippery sand!
41. Or the water of the garden will run off underground so that you will never be able to find it."
49. And the Book (of Deeds) will be placed (before you): and you will see the sinful in great terror because of what is (recorded) therein;
52. and We shall make for them a place of common perdition.
53. And the Sinful shall see the Fire and apprehend that they have to fall therein: no means will they find to turn away therefrom.
87. and He will punish him with a punishment unheard-of (before).
100. And We shall present hell that day for Unbelievers to see, all spread out -
9 October 2015