Excerpts from the Koran - cont'd
106. That is their reward, hell, because they rejected faith, and took My Signs and My Messengers by way of jest.
68. So, by your Lord, without doubt, We shall gather them together, and (also) the Satans (with them); then shall We bring them forth on their knees round about Hell.
69. Then shall We certainly drag out from every sect all those who were worst in obstinate rebellion against (Allah) Most Gracious.
70. And certainly We know best those who are most worthy of being burned therein.
71. Not one of you will pass over it: this is, with your Lord, a Decree which must be accomplished.
74. But how many (countless) generations before them have We destroyed, who were even better in equipment and in glitter to the eye?
79. No! We shall record what he says, and We shall add and add to his punishment.
98. But how many (countless) generations before them have We destroyed? Can you find a single one of them (now) or hear (so much as) a whisper of them?
81. (Saying): "Eat of the good things We have provided for your sustenance, but commit no excess therein, lest my Wrath should justly descend on you: and those on whom descends My Wrath do perish indeed!
97. (Moses) said: "Get you gone! But your (punishment) in this life will be that you will say, 'Touch me not'; and moreover (for a future penalty) you have a promise that will not fail: now look at your god, of whom you have become a devoted worshipper: we will (melt) it in a blazing fire and scatter it broadcast in the sea!"
105. They ask you concerning the Mountains: say, "My Lord will uproot them and scatter them as dust;"
106. He will leave them as plains smooth and level;"
107. "Nothing crooked or curved will you see in their place."
127. And thus do We recompense him who transgresses beyond bounds and believes not in the Signs of his lord: and the penalty of the Hereafter is far more grievous and more enduring.
128. Is it not a warning to such men (to call to mind) how many generations before them We destroyed, in whose haunts they (now) move?
6. (As to those) before them, not one of the populations which We destroyed believed: will these believe?
9. In the end We fulfilled to them Our promise, and We saved them and those whom We pleased, but We destroyed those who transgressed beyond bounds.
11. How many were the populations We utterly destroyed because of their iniquities, setting up in their places other peoples?
15. And that cry of theirs ceased not, till We made them as a field that is mown, as ashes silent and quenched.
29. If any of them should say, "I am a god besides Him," such a one We should rewards with Hell: thus do We reward those who do wrong.
98. Surely you, (Unbelievers), and the (false) gods that you worship besides Allah, are (but) fuel for Hell! To it will you surely come!
1. O mankind! fear your Lord! for the convulsion of the Hour (of Judgment) will be a thing terrible!
2. The Day you shall see it, every mother giving suck shall forget her suckling babe, and every pregnant female shall drop her load (unformed): you shall see mankind as a drunken riot, yet not drunk: but dreadful will be the Wrath of Allah.
9. (Disdainfully) bending his side, in order to lead (men) astray from the path of Allah: for him there is disgrace in this life, and on the day of Judgment We shall make him taste the torment of burning (Fire).
19. These two antagonists dispute with each other about their Lord: but those who deny (their Lord) - for them will be cut out a garment of Fire: over their heads will be poured out boiling water.
20. With it will be scalded what is within their bodies, as well as (their) skins.
21. In addition there will be maces of iron (to punish) them.
22. Every time they wish to get away therefrom, from anguish, they will be forced back therein, and (it will be said), "Taste you the Penalty of Burning!"
25. As to those who rejected (Allah), and would keep back (men) from the Way of Allah, and from the Sacred Mosque, which We made (open) to (all) men - equal is the dweller there and the visitor from the country - and any whose purpose therein is profanity or wrong-doing - them will We cause a taste of a most Grievous Penalty.
31. Being true in faith to Allah, and never assigning partners to Him: if anyone assigns partners to Allah, he is as if he had fallen from heaven and been snatched up by birds, or the wind had swooped (like a bird on its prey) and thrown him into a far-distant place.
51. But those who strive against Our Signs, to frustrate them - they will be companions of the Fire."
57. And for those who reject Faith and deny Our Signs, there will be a humiliating punishment.
72. When Our Clear Signs are rehearsed to them, you will notice a denial on the faces of the Unbelievers! They nearly attack with violence those who rehearse Our Signs to them. Say, "Shall I tell you of something (far) worse than these Signs? It is the Fire (of Hell)! Allah has promised it to the Unbelievers! And evil is that destination!"
103. But those whose balance is light, will be those who have lost their souls; in Hell will they abide.
104. The Fire will burn their faces, and they will therein grin, with their lips displaced.
2. the woman and the man guilty of fornication - flog each of them with a hundred stripes; let no compassion move you in their case, in a manner prescribed by Allah, if you believe in Allah and the Last Day: and let a party of the Believers witness their punishment.
4. And those who launch a charge against chaste women, and produce not four witnesses (to support their allegations) - flog them with eighty stripes; and reject their evidence ever after: for such men are wicked transgressors -
6. And for those who launch a charge against their spouses, and have (in support) no evidence but their own - their solitary evidence (can be received) if they bear witness four times (with an oath) by Allah that they solemnly telling the truth;
7. And the fifth (oath) (should be) that they solemnly evoke the curse of Allah on themselves if they tell a lie.
8. But it would avert the punishment from the wife, if she bears witness four times (with an oath) by Allah, that her husband is telling a lie;
9. And the fifth (oath) should be that she solemnly evokes the wrath of Allah on herself if (her accuser) is telling the truth.
55. If any do reject Faith after this, they are rebellious and wicked.
57. Never do think you that the Unbelievers are going to frustrate (Allah's Plan) on earth: their abode is the Fire - and it is indeed an evil refuge!
63. then let those beware who withstand the Messenger's order, lest some trial befall them, or a grievous chastisement be inflicted on them.
11. No they deny the Hour (of the Judgment to come): but We have prepared a Blazing Fire for such as deny the Hour:
12. When it sees them from a place far off, they will hear its fury and its raging sigh.
13. And when they are cast, bound together, into a constricted place therein, they will plead for destruction there and then!
14. "This they plead not for a single destruction: plead for destruction oft-repeated!"
19. (Allah will say): "Now have they proved you liars in what you say: so you cannot avert (your penalty) nor (get) help." And whoever among you does wrong, him shall We cause to taste of a grievous chastisement.
34. Those who will be gathered to Hell (prone) on their faces - they will be in an evil plight, and, as to Path, most astray.
37. And the people of Noah - when they rejected the Messengers, We drowned them, and We made them as a Sign for mankind; and We have prepared for all wrong-doers a grievous chastisement -
39. To each one We set forth Parables and examples; and each one We broke to utter annihilation (for their sins).
40. And the (Unbelievers) must indeed have passed by the town on which was rained a shower of evil: did they not then see it (with their own eyes)? But they fear not the Resurrection.
44. Or do you think that most of them listen or understand? They are only like cattle - no, they are worse astray in Path.
52. Therefore listen not to the Unbelievers, but strive against them with the utmost strenuousness, with the (Qur'ān).
139. So they rejected him, and We destroyed them. Surely, this is a Sign: but most of them do not believe.
172. But the rest We destroyed utterly.
173. We rained down on them a shower (of brimstone): and evil was the shower on those who were admonished (but heeded not)!
189. But they rejected him. Then the punishment of a day of overshadowing gloom seized them, and that was the chastisement of a Great Day.
201. They will not believe in it until they see the grievous chastisement;
202. But it will come to them of a sudden, while they perceive it not;
206. Yet there comes to them at length the (Punishment) which they were promised!
4. As to those who believe not in the Hereafter, We have made their deeds pleasing in their eyes; and so they wander about in distraction.
5. Such are they for whom a grievous chastisement awaits; and in the Hereafter theirs will be the greatest loss.
40. So We seized him and his hosts, and We flung them into the sea: now behold what was the end of those who did wrong!
42. In this world We made a Curse to follow them and on the Day of Judgment they will be among the loathed (and despised).
58. And how many townships we destroyed, which exulted in their life (of ease and plenty)! Now those habitations of theirs, after them, are deserted - all but a (miserable) few! And We are their heirs!
59. Nor was your Lord the one to destroy a township until he had sent to its Centre a Messenger, rehearsing to them Our Signs; nor are We going to destroy a population except when its members practise iniquity.
78. He said: "This has been given to me because of a certain knowledge which I have." Did he not know that Allah had destroyed, before him, (whole) generations - which were superior to him in strength and greater in the amount (of riches) they had collected?
25. And he said: "For you, you have taken (for worship) idols besides Allah, out of mutual love and regard between yourselves in this life; but on the Day of Judgment you shall disown each other and curse each other: and your abode will be the Fire, and you shall have none to help."
34. "For we are going to bring down on the people of this township a Punishment from heaven, because they have been wickedly rebellious."
37. But they rejected him: then the mighty Blast seized them, and they lay prostrate in their homes in the morning.
40. Each one of them We seized for his crime: of them, against some We sent a violent tornado (with showers of stones); some were caught by a (mighty) Blast; some We caused the earth to swallow up; and some We drowned (in the waters): it was not Allah Who injured (or oppressed) them: they injured (and oppressed) their own souls.
10. In the long run evil in the extreme will be the End of those who do evil: for that they rejected the Signs of Allah, and held them up to ridicule.
14. "Taste you then - for you forgot the Meeting of this Day of yours. And We too will forget you - taste you the Chastisement of Eternity for your (evil) deeds!"
20. As to those who are rebellious and wicked, their abode will be the Fire: every time they wish to get away therefrom, they will be forced back thereinto, and it will be said to them: "Taste you the chastisement of the Fire, the which you were want to reject as false."
21. And indeed We will make them taste of the Torment in this (life) prior to the supreme Chastisement, in order that they may (repent and) return.
22. And who does more wrong than one to whom are recited the Signs of his Lord, and who then turns away therefrom? Surely, from those who transgress We shall exact (due) Retribution.
26. Does it not teach them a lesson, how many generations We destroyed before them, in whose dwellings they (now) walk through?
29. Say: "On the Day of Decision, of no benefit will it be to Unbelievers if they (then) believe! Nor will they be granted a respite."
8. That (Allah) may question the (custodians) of Truth concerning the Truth they (were charged with): and He has prepared for the Unbelievers a grievous chastisement.
50. O Prophet! We have made lawful to you your wives to whom you have paid their dowers; and those whom your right hand possesses out of the captives of war whom Allah has assigned to you;
57. Those who annoy Allah and His Messenger - Allah has cursed them in this world and in the Hereafter, and has prepared for them a humiliating Punishment.
58. And those who annoy believing men and women undeservedly, bear (on themselves) a calumny and a glaring sin.
60. truly, if the Hypocrites, and those in whose hearts is a disease, and those who spread slanderous rumours in the City, desist not, We shall certainly stir you up against them: then they will not be able to stay in it as your neighbours for any length of time.
61. They shall have curse on them: wherever they are found, they shall be seized and slain (without mercy).
62. (Such was) the practice (approved) by Allah among those who lived aforetime: no change will you find in the practice (approved) by Allah.
64. Surely, Allah has cursed the Unbelievers and prepared for them a Blazing Fire -
65. To dwell therein forever: no protector will they find, nor helper.
66. The Day that their faces will be turned upside down in the Fire, they will say: "Woe to us! Would that we had obeyed Allah and obeyed the Messenger!"
68. "Our Lord! Give them double Chastisement and curse them with a very great Curse!"
5. But those who strive against Our Signs, to frustrate them - for such will be a Penalty - a Punishment most humiliating.
8. No, it is those who believe not in the Hereafter, that are in for chastisement, and in the farthest Error.
9. See they not what is before them and what is behind them, of the sky and the earth? If We wished, We could cause the earth to swallow them up, or cause a piece of sky to fall upon them.
12. and We made a Font of molten brass to flow for him; and there were Jinns that worked in front of him, by the leave of his Lord, and if any of them turned aside from Our Command, We made him taste of the Chastisement of the Blazing Fire.
16. But they turned away (from Allah), and We sent against them the Flood (released) from the Dams, and We converted their two garden (rows) into "gardens" producing bitter fruit, and tamarisks, and few (stunted) Lote-trees.
19. At length We made them as a tale (that is told), and We dispersed them all in scattered fragments.
33. We shall put yokes on the necks of the unbelievers: it would only be a requital for their (ill) Deeds.
38. Those who strive against Our Signs, to frustrate them, will be given over to Chastisement.
42. So on that Day no power shall they have over each other, for profit or harm: and We shall say to the wrong-doers, "Taste you the Chastisement of the Fire - the which you were wont to deny!"
46. he is no less than a warner to you, in the face of a terrible chastisement."
7. For those who reject Allah, is a terrible Chastisement;
10. Those that lay Plots of Evil - for them is a Chastisement terrible; and the plotting of such will be void (of result).
36. But those who reject (Allah) - for them will be the Fire of Hell: no term shall be determined for them, so they should die, nor shall its Chastisement be lightened for them. Thus do We reward every ungrateful one!
39. He it is That has made you inheritors in the earth: if, then, any do reject (Allah), their rejection (works) against themselves: their rejection but adds to the odium for the Unbelievers in the sight of their Lord: their rejection but adds to (their own) undoing.
7. The Word is proved true against the greater part of them: for they do not believe.
8. We have put yokes around their necks right up to their chins, so that their heads are forced up (and they cannot bow).
9. And We have put a bar in front of them and a bar behind them, and further, We have covered them up; so that they cannot see.
18. The (people) said: "For us, We augur an evil omen from you: if you desist not, we will certainly stone you. And a grievous punishment indeed will be inflicted on you by us."
31. See they not how many generations before them We destroyed? Not to them will they return:
32. But each one of them all - will be brought before Us (for Judgment).
63. This is the Hell of which you were (repeatedly) warned!
64. "Embrace you the (Fire) this Day, for that you (persistently) rejected (Truth)."
65. That Day shall We set a seal on their mouths.
66. If it had been Our Will, We could surely have blotted out their eyes; then should they have run about groping for the Path, but how could they have seen?
67. And if it had been Our Will, We could have transformed them in their places; then should they have been unable to move about, nor could they have returned (after error).
75. They have not the power to help them: but they will be brought up (before Our Judgment Seat) as a troop (to be condemned).
9. Repulsed, for they are under a perpetual torment,
10. Except such as snatch away something by stealth, and they are pursued by a flaming fire, of piercing brightness.
18. Say you: "Yes, and you shall then be humiliated (on account of your evil)."
31. "So now has been proved true, against us, the Word of Our Lord that we shall indeed (have to) taste (the punishment of our sins),
38. You shall indeed taste of the Grievous Chastisement -
39. But it will be no more than the retribution of (the Evil) that you have wrought -
67. Then on top of that they will be given a mixture made of boiling water.
68. Then shall their return be to the (Blazing) Fire.
82. Then the rest We overwhelmed in the Flood.
136. Then We destroyed the rest.
163. Except such as are (themselves) going to the blazing Fire!
2. But the Unbelievers (are steeped) in Self-glory and Opposition.
3. How many generations before them did We destroy? In the end they cried (for mercy) - when there was no longer time for being saved!
15. These (today) only wait for a single mighty Blast, which (when it comes) will brook no delay.
26. for those who wander astray from the Path of Allah, is a Penalty Grievous, for that they forget the Day of Account.
27. But woe to the Unbelievers because of the Fire (of Hell)!
55. Yes, such! But - for the wrongdoers will be an evil place of (final) Return!
56. Hell! - they will burn therein - an evil bed (indeed, to lie on)! -
57. Yes, such! - Then shall they taste it - a boiling fluid, and a fluid dark, murky, intensely cold! -
58. And other Penalties of a similar kind, to match them!
59. Here is a troop rushing headlong with you! No welcome for them! Truly, they shall burn in the Fire!
61. They will say: "Our Lord! Whoever brought this upon us - add to him a double chastisement in the Fire!"
64. Truly that is just and fitting - the mutual recriminations of the People of the Fire!
78. And My curse shall be on you till the Day of Judgment."
85. "That I will certainly fill Hell with you and those that follow you - every one."
8. Say, "Enjoy your blasphemy for a little while: surely you are (one) of the Companions of the Fire!"
13. Say: "I would, if I disobeyed my Lord, indeed have fear of the chastisement of a Mighty Day."
16. They shall have Layers of Fire above them, and Layers (of Fire) below them: with this does Allah warn off his Servants: "O My Servants! Then fear you Me!"
25. Those before them (also) rejected (revelation), and so the Punishment came to them from directions they did not perceive.
26. So Allah gave them a taste of humiliation in the present life, but greater is the Punishment of the Hereafter, if they only knew!
47. Even if the wrongdoers had all there is on earth, and as much more, (in vain) would they offer it for ransom from the pain of the Chastisement on the Day of Judgment: but something will confront them from Allah, which they could never have counted upon!
48. For the evils of their Deeds will confront them, and they will be (completely) encircled by that which they used to mock at!
54. "Turn you to our Lord (in repentance) and submit to His (Will), before the chastisement comes on you: after that you shall not be helped.
55. "And follow the Best of (the courses) revealed to you from your Lord, before the chastisement comes on you - of a sudden, while you perceive not!
60. On the Day of Judgment will you see those who told lies against Allah - Their faces will be turned black; is there not in Hell an abode for the Haughty?
71. The Unbelievers will be led to Hell in crowds: until, when they arrive, there, its gates will be opened.
72. (To them) will be said: "Enter the gates of Hell, to dwell therein: and evil is (this) abode of the arrogant!"
9 October 2015