Excerpts from the Koran - cont'd
5. But (there were people) before them, who denied (the Signs) - the People of Noah, and the Confederates (of Evil) after them; and every People plotted against their Prophet, to seize him, and disputed by means of vanities, therewith to repulse the Truth; but it was I that seized them! And how (terrible) was My Requital!
6. Thus was the Decree of your Lord proved true against the Unbelievers; that truly they are companions of the Fire!
17. That Day will every soul be requited for what it earned; no injustice will there be that Day, for Allah is Swift in taking account.
18. Warn them of the Day that is (ever) drawing near, when the hearts will (come) right up to the Throats to choke (them); no intimate friends nor intercessor will the wrongdoers have, who could be listened to.
22. That was because there came to them their Messengers with Clear (Signs), but they rejected them: so Allah called them to account: for He is full of Strength, Strict in Punishment.
33. A Day when you shall turn your backs and flee: no defender shall you have from Allah: any whom Allah leaves to stray, there is none to guide...
35. Thus does Allah seal up every heart - of arrogant and tyrannical."
43. "Without doubt you do call me to one who is not fit to be called to, whether in this world, or in the Hereafter; our Return will be to Allah; and the Transgressors will be Companions of the Fire!
46. In front of the Fire will they be brought, morning and evening: and (the Sentence will be) on the Day that judgment will be established: "Cast you the People of Pharaoh into the severest Penalty!"
47. Behold, they will dispute with each other in the Fire!
49. Those in the Fire will say to the Keepers of Hell: "Pray to your Lord to lighten the Chastisement for a Day (at least)!"
52. The Day when of no profit will it be to Wrongdoers to present their excuses, but they will (only) have the Curse and the Home of Misery.
71. When the yokes (shall be) round their necks, and the chains; they shall be dragged along -
72. In the boiling fetid fluid; then in the Fire shall they be burned;
76. "Enter you the gates of Hell, to dwell therein: and evil is (this) abode of the arrogant!"
85. But their professing the Faith when they (actually) saw Our Punishment was not going to profit them, (such has been) Allah's way of dealing with His servants (from the most ancient times). And even thus did the rejecters of Allah perish (utterly)!
13. But if they turn away, say you: "I have warned you of a stunning Punishment (as of thunder and lightning) like that which (overtook) the 'Ād and the Thamūd!"
16. So We sent against them a furious Wind through days of disaster, that We might give them a taste of a Torment of humiliation in this Life; but the Penalty of the Hereafter will be more humiliating still: and they will find no help.
17. As to the Thamūd, We gave them Guidance: so the humiliating Punishment of thunderbolt seized them, because of what they had earned.
19. On the Day that the enemies of Allah will be gathered together to the Fire, they will be marched in ranks.
20. At length, when they reach the (Fire), their hearing, their sight, and their skins will bear witness against them, as to (all) their deeds.
24. If, then, they have patience, the Fire will even then be a Home for them! And if they beg to be received into favour, into favour will they not (then) be received.
25. And We have destined for them intimate companions (of like nature), who made alluring to them what was before them and behind them; and the sentence against the previous generations of Jinns and men, who have passed away, is set against them too; for they are utterly lost.
27. But We will certainly give the Unbelievers a taste of a severe Chastisement, and We will requite them for the worst of their deeds.
28. Such is the requital for the enemies of Allah - the Fire: therein will be for them the Eternal Home: a (fit) requital, for that they were wont to reject Our Signs.
7. Thus have We sent by inspiration to you an Arabic Qur'ān: that you may warn the Mother of Cities and all around her - and warn (them) of the Day of Assembly, of which there is no doubt: (when) some will be in the Garden, and some in the Blazing Fire.
16. But those who dispute concerning Allah after He has been accepted - futile is their dispute in the Sight of their Lord: on them is Wrath, and for them will be a Chastisement terrible.
26. but for the Unbelievers there is a terrible Chastisement.
35. But let those know, who dispute Our Signs, that there is for them no way of escape.
42. The blame is only upon those who oppress men with wrongdoing and insolently transgress beyond bounds through the land, defying right and injustice: for such there will be a Chastisement grievous.
45. Behold! truly the wrongdoers are in a lasting Chastisement!"
39. When you have done wrong, it will avail you nothing, that day, that you shall be partners in punishment!
41. Even if We take you away, We shall be sure to exact retribution from them,
44. The (Qur'ān) is indeed a reminder, for you and for your people; and soon shall you (all) be brought to account.
48. We showed them Sign after Sign, each greater than its fellow, and We seized them with Punishment, in order that they might turn (to Us).
55. When at length they enraged Us, We exacted retribution from them, and we drowned them all.
56. And We made them (A people) of the Past and an Example to later ages.
74. The sinners will be in the Punishment of Hell, to dwell therein (for ever):
75. Nowise will the (Punishment) be lightened for them, and in despair will they be there overwhelmed.
10. Then watch for the Day that the sky will bring forth a kind of smoke (or mist) plainly visible.
11. Enveloping the people: this will be a Chastisement grievous.
16. One day We shall seize you with a mighty onslaught: We will indeed (then) exact Retribution!
37. What! Are they better than the people of Tubba' and those who were before them? We destroyed them because they were guilty of sin.
43. Surely the tree of Zaqqūm
44. Will be the food of the Sinful -
45. Like molten brass; it will boil in their insides,
46. Like the boiling of scalding water.
47. (A voice will cry): "Seize him and drag him into the midst of the Blazing Fire!
48. Then pour over his head the Chastisement of Boiling Water
49. "Taste you (this)! Truly were you mighty, full of honour!
7. Woe to each sinful dealer in Falsehoods:
8. He hears the Signs of Allah rehearsed to him, yet is obstinate and lofty, as if he had not heard them: then announce to him a Chastisement Grievous!
9. And when he learns something of Our Signs, he takes them in jest: for such there will be a humiliating Chastisement.
10. In front of them is hell: and of no profit to them is anything they may have earned, nor any protectors they may have taken to themselves besides Allah: for them is a tremendous Chastisement.
11. This is (true) Guidance: and for those who reject the Signs of their Lord, is the Grievous Chastisement of abomination.
27. To Allah belongs the dominion of the heavens and the earth, and the Day that the Hour of Judgment is established - that Day will the dealers in Falsehood perish!
33. Then will appear to them the evil (fruits) of what they did, and they will be completely encircled by that which they used to mock at!
20. And on the Day that the Unbelievers will be placed before the Fire, (It will be said to them): "You squandered your good things in the life of the world, and you took your pleasure out of them: but today shall you be recompensed with a Penalty of humiliation: for that you were arrogant on earth without just cause, and that you (ever) transgressed."
21. "Worship you none other than Allah: truly I fear for you the Chastisement of a Mighty Day."
24. Then, when they saw the (Penalty in the shape of) a cloud traversing the sky, coming to meet their valleys, they said, "This cloud will give us rains!" "No, it is the (calamity) you were asking to be hastened! - a wind wherein is a Grievous Chastisement!
25. "Everything will it destroy by the command of its Lord!" Then by the morning nothing was to be seen but (the ruins of) their houses! Thus do We recompense those given to sin!
26. but of no benefit to them were their (faculties of) hearing, sight, and heart and intellect, when they went on rejecting the Signs of Allah; and they were (completely) encircled by that which they used to mock at!
27. We destroyed aforetime populations round about you; and We have shown the Signs in various ways, that they may turn (to Us).
34. And on the Day that the Unbelievers will be placed before the Fire, (they will be asked,) "Is this not the Truth?" They will say, "Yes, by our Lord!" (one will say:) "Then taste you the Chastisement, for that you were wont to deny (Truth)!"
35. Therefore patiently persevere, as did (all) Messengers of inflexible purpose; and be in no haste about the (Unbelievers). On the Day that they see the (Punishment) promised them, (it will be) as if they had not tarried more than an hour in a single day.
1. Those who reject Allah and hinder (men) from the Path of Allah - Their deeds will Allah make futile and fruitless.
4. Therefore, when you meet the Unbelievers (in fight), smite at their necks; at length, when you have thoroughly subdued them, bind (the captives) firmly; thereafter (is the time for) either generosity or ransom: until the war lays down its burdens. Thus (are you commanded): but if it had been Allah's Will, He could certainly have exacted retribution from them (Himself); but (He lets you fight) in order to test you, some with others. But those who are slain in the Way of Allah - He will never let their deeds be lost.
8. But those who reject (Allah) - for them is destruction, and (Allah) will make their deeds go waste.
9. That is because they hate the Revelation of Allah; so He has made their deeds fruitless.
10. Do they not travel through the earth, and see what was the End of those before them (who did evil)? Allah brought utter destruction on them, and similar (fates await) those who reject Allah.
11. That is because Allah is the Protector of those who believe, but those who reject Allah have no protector.
12. while those who reject Allah will enjoy (this world) and eat as cattle eat; and the Fire will be their abode.
13. And how many cities, with more power than your city which has driven you out, have We destroyed (For their sins)? and there was none to help them.
15. (Can those in such Bliss) be compared to such as dwell forever in the Fire, and be given, to drink, boiling water, so that it cuts up their bowels (into pieces)?
20. But when a sūrah of basic or categorical meaning is revealed, and fighting is mentioned therein, you will see those in whose hearts is a disease looking at you with a look of one in swoon at the approach of death. But more fitting for them -
23. Such are the men whom Allah has cursed, for He has made them deaf and blinded their sight.
27. But how (will it be) when the angels take their souls at death, and smite their faces and their backs?
34. Those who reject Allah, and hinder (men) from the Path of Allah, then die rejecting Allah - Allah will not forgive them.
6. And that He may punish the Hypocrites, men and women, and the Polytheists men and women, who harbour an evil opinion of Allah. On them is a round of Evil: the Wrath of Allah is on them: He has cursed them and got Hell ready for them: and evil is it for a destination.
12. "No, you thought that the Messenger and the Believers would never return to their families; this seemed pleasing in your hearts, and you conceived an evil thought, for you are people doomed to perish."
13. And if any believe not in Allah and His Messenger, We have prepared, for those who reject Allah, a Blazing Fire!
16. Then if you show obedience, Allah will grant you a goodly reward, but if you turn back as you did before, He will punish you with a Grievous Chastisement."
17. and he who turns back, (Allah) will punish him with a Grievous Chastisement.
22. If the Unbelievers were to fight you, they would certainly have turned their backs; then would they have found neither protector nor helper.
23. (Such has been) the practice of Allah already in the past: no change will you find in the practice (approved) of Allah.
24. And it is He Who has restrained their hands from you and your hands from them in the midst of Makkah; after that He gave you the victory over them.
25. If they had been apart, We should certainly have punished the Unbelievers among them with a grievous Punishment.
29. Muhammad is the Messenger of Allah; and those who are with him are strong against Unbelievers, (but) compassionate amongst each other.
9. If two parties among the Believers fall into a quarrel, make you peace between them: but if one of them transgresses beyond bounds against the other, then fight you (all) against the one that transgresses until it complies with the command of Allah;
26. "Who set up another god beside Allah: throw him into severe Chastisement"
30. One Day We will ask Hell, "Are you filled to the full?" It will say, "Are there any more (to come)?"
36. But how many generations before them did We destroy (for their sins) - stronger in power than they? Then did they wander through the land: was there any place of escape (for them)?
44. The Day when the Earth will be rent asunder, letting (men) hurrying out: that will be a gathering together - quite easy for Us.
10. Woe to the conjecturer -
13. (It will be) a Day when they will be tried (and tested) over the Fire!
14. "Taste you your trial! This is what you used to ask to be hastened!"
32. They said, "We have been sent to a people (deep) in sin -
33. "To bring on, on them, (a shower of) stones of clay (brimstone),
34. "Marked as from your Lord for those who trespass beyond bounds."
37. And We left there a Sign for such as fear the Grievous Chastisement.
40. So We took him and his forces, and threw them into the sea; and his was the blame.
41. And in the 'Ad (people) (was another Sign): Behold, We sent against them the devastating Wind:
42. It left nothing whatever that it came up against, but reduced it to ruin and rottenness.
44. But they insolently defied the Command of their Lord: so the stunning noise of a thunderbolt seized them, even while they were looking on.
45. Then they could not even stand (on their feet) nor could they help themselves.
46. So were the People of Noah before them: for they wickedly transgressed.
60. Woe, then, to the Unbelievers, on account of that Day of theirs which they have been promised!
13. That Day shall they be thrust down to the Fire of Hell, irresistibly.
16. "Burn you therein: the same is it to you whether you bear it with patience, or not: you but receive the recompense of your (own) deeds.
6. Therefore, (O Prophet) turn away from them. (and wait for) the Day that the Caller will call (them) to a terrible affair,
16. But how (terrible) was My Chastisement and My Warning?
18. The 'Ad (people) (too) rejected (Truth): then how terrible was My Chastisement and My Warning?
19. For We sent against them a furious wind, on a Day of violent Disaster,
20. Plucking out men as if they were roots of palm-trees torn up (from the ground).
21. Yes, how (terrible) was My Chastisement and My Warning!
30. Ah! how (terrible) was My Chastisement and My Warning!
31. For We sent against them a single Mighty Blast, and they became like the dry stubble used by one who pens cattle.
34. We sent against them a violent tornado with showers of stones, (which destroyed them), except lūt's household: them We delivered by early Dawn -
37. And they even thought to snatch away his guests from him, but We blinded their eyes. (They heard:) "Now taste you My Wrath and My Warning."
46. No, the Hour (of Judgment) is the time promised them (for their full recompense): and that Hour will be most grievous and most bitter.
47. Truly those in sin are the ones straying in mind, and mad.
48. The Day they will be dragged through the Fire on their faces, (they will hear:) "Taste you the touch of Hell!"
35. On you will be sent (O you evil ones twain!) A flame of fire (to burn) and a smoke (to choke): no escape will you have:
37. When the sky is rent asunder, and it becomes red like ointment:
38. Then which of the favours of your Lord will you deny?
41. (For) the sinners will be known by their Marks: and they will be seized by their forelocks and their feet.
43. This is the Hell which the Sinners deny:
44. In its midst and in the midst of boiling hot water will they wander around!
42. (They will be) in the midst of a fierce Blast of Fire and in Boiling Water,
43. And in the shades of Black Smoke:
44. Neither cool nor refreshing!
52. "Then you will surely taste of the Tree of Zaqqūm.
53. "Then you will fill your insides therewith,
54. "And drink Boiling Water on top of it:
55. Indeed you shall drink like diseased camels raging with thirst!"
56. Such will be their entertainment of the Day of Requital!
92. And if he be of those who deny (the Truth) who go wrong,
93. For him is Entertainment with Boiling Water.
94. And burning in Hell-Fire.
15. "This Day shall no ransom be accepted of you, nor of those who rejected Allah." Your abode is the Fire: that is the proper place to claim you; and an evil refuge it is!"
20. But in the Hereafter is a Chastisement severe (for the devotees of wrong).
5. Those who oppose Allah and His Messenger will be humbled to dust, as were those before them; We have already sent down clear Signs. And the Unbelievers (will have) a humiliating Chastisement.
8. Enough for them is Hell; in it they will burn, and evil is that destination!
14. Do you not see those who turn (in friendship) to such as have the Wrath of Allah upon them? They are neither of you nor of them, and they swear to falsehood knowingly.
15. Allah has prepared for them a severe Chastisement: evil indeed are their deeds.
16. They have made their oaths a screen (for their misdeeds); Thus they obstruct (men) from the Path of Allah: therefore shall they have a humiliating Chastisement.
17. Of no profit whatever to them, against Allah, will be their riches nor their sons: they will be Companions of the Fire, to dwell therein (for ever)!
19. Satan has got the better of them: so he has made them lose the remembrance of Allah. They are the Party of the Satan. Truly, it is the Party of the Satan that will perish!
20. Those who resist Allah and His Messenger will be among those most humiliated.
2. But the (Wrath of) Allah came to them from quarters from which they little expected (it), and cast terror into their hearts, so that they destroyed their dwellings by their own hands and the hands of the Believers, take warning, then, O you with eyes (to see)!
15. Like those who lately preceded them, they have tasted the evil result of their conduct; and (in the Hereafter there is) for them a grievous Chastisement.
17. The end of both will be that they will go into the Fire, dwelling therein forever. Such is the reward of the wrongdoers.
2. If they were to get the better of you, they would behave to you as enemies, and stretch forth their hands and their tongues against you for evil: and they desire that you should reject the Truth.
4. There is for you an excellent example (to follow) in Abraham and those with him, when they said to their people: "We are clear of you and whatever you worship besides Allah; we have rejected you, and there has risen, between us and you, enmity and hatred for ever - unless you believe in Allah and Him alone;"
4. Truly Allah loves those who fight in His Cause in battle array, as if they were a solid cemented structure.
5. Evil is the similitude of people who falsify the Signs of Allah: and Allah guides not people who do wrong.
4. When you look at them, their exteriors please you; and when they speak, you listen to their words. They are as (worthless as hollow) pieces of timber propped up, (unable to stand on their own). They think that every cry is against them. They are the enemies; so beware of them. The curse of Allah be on them! How are they deluded (away from the Truth)!
6. It is equal to them whether you pray for their forgiveness or not. Allah will not forgive them. Truly Allah guides not rebellious transgressors.
10. But those who reject Faith and treat Our Signs as falsehoods, they will be the companions of the Fire, to dwell therein for ever; and evil is that Goal.
8. How many populations that insolently opposed the Command of their Lord and of His Messengers, did We not then call to account - to severe account? - and We imposed on them an exemplary punishment.
9. Then did they taste the evil result of their conduct, and the End of their conduct was Perdition.
10. Allah has prepared for them a severe Punishment (in the Hereafter).
6. For those who reject their Lord (and Cherisher) is the Chastisement of Hell: and evil is (such) destination.
7. When they are cast therein, they will hear the (terrible) drawing in of its breath even as it blazes forth,
8. Almost bursting with fury: every time a Group is cast therein, its Keepers will ask, "Did no Warner come to you?"
11. They will then confess their sins: but far will be (Forgiveness) from the Companions of the Blazing Fire!
16. Do you feel secure that He Who is in heaven will not cause you to be swallowed up by the earth when it shakes (as in an earthquake)?
17. Or do you feel secure that He Who is in Heaven will not send against you a violent tornado (with showers of stones), so that you shall know how (terrible) was My warning?
18. But indeed men before them rejected (My warning): then how (terrible) was my rejection (of them)?
33. Such is the Punishment (in this life); but greater is the Punishment in the Hereafter - if only they knew!
44. Then leave Me alone with such as reject this Message: by degrees shall We punish them from directions they perceive not.
45. A (long) respite will I grant them: truly powerful is My Plan.
4. The Thamūd and the 'Ād People (branded) as false the Stunning Calamity!
5. But the Thamūd - they were destroyed by a terrible Storm of thunder and lightening!
6. And the 'Ād - they were destroyed by a furious Wind, exceedingly violent;
7. He made it rage against them seven nights and eight days in succession: so that you could see the (whole) people lying prostrate in its (path), as if they had been roots of hollow palm-trees tumbled down!
8. Then do you see any of them left surviving?
10. And disobeyed (each) the Messenger of their Lord; so He punished them with an abundant Penalty.
30. (The stern command will say): "Seize him, and bind him,
31. "And burn him in the Blazing Fire.
32. "Further, make him march in a chain, whereof the length is seventy cubits!
46. And We should certainly then cut off the artery of his heart;
15. By no means! For it would be the Fire of Hell! -
16. Plucking out (his being) right to the skull!
9. 'We used, indeed, to sit there in (hidden) stations, to (steal) a hearing; but any who listens now will find a flaming fire watching him in ambush.
15. 'But those who swerve - they are (but) fuel for Hell-fire' -
21. Truly Hell is a place of ambush -
22. For the transgressors a place of destination:
23. They will dwell therein for ages.
24. Nothing cool shall they taste therein, nor any drink,
25. Save a boiling fluid and a fluid, dark, murky, intensely cold -
26. A fitting recompense (for them).
30. So taste you (the fruits of your deeds); for no increase shall We grant you, except in Chastisement."
36. And Hell-Fire shall be placed in full view for (all) to see -
39. The Abode will be hell-Fire;
14. And the Wicked - they will be in the Fire,
15. Which they will enter on the Day of Judgment,
16. Further, they will enter the Fire of Hell,
11. Soon will he cry for Perdition,
12. And he will enter a Blazing Fire.
24. So announce to them a Chastisement Grievous,
10. Those who persecute (or draw into temptation) the Believers, men and women, and do not turn in repentance, will have the Chastisement of Hell: they will have the Chastisement of the Burning Fire.
11. But it will be avoided by the most unfortunate one,
12. Who will enter the Great Fire,
13. In which he will then neither die nor live.
2. Some faces, that Day, will be humiliated,
3. Labouring (hard), weary -
4. The while they enter the Blazing Fire -
5. The while they are given, to drink, of a boiling hot spring,
6. No food will there be for them but a bitter Dharī (A bitter and thorny plant)
7. Which will neither nourish nor satisfy hunger.
23. But if any turn away and reject Allah -
24. Allah will punish him with a mighty Punishment,
13. Therefore did your Lord pour on them a scourge of diverse chastisements:
25. For, that Day, His Chastisement will be such as none (other) can inflict,
26. And His bonds will be such as none (other) can bind.
19. But those who reject Our Signs, they are the (unhappy) Companions of the Left Hand.
20. On them will be Fire vaulted over (all round).
6. Those who reject (truth), among the People of the Book and among the Polytheists, will be in hell-fire, to dwell therein (for ever). They are the worst of creatures.
8. But he whose balance (of good deeds) will be (found) light -
9. Will have his home in a (bottomless) Pit.
10. And what will explain to you this is?
11. (It is) a Fire blazing fiercely!
6. You shall certainly see hell-fire!
4. By no means! He will be sure to be thrown into that which Breaks to Pieces.
5. And what will explain to you That which Breaks to Pieces?
6. (It is) the Fire of (the Wrath of ) Allah kindled (to a blaze),
7. The which does mount (right) to the Hearts:
8. It shall be made into a vault over them,
9. In columns outstretched.
1. Perish the hands of the Father of Flame! Perish he!
2. No profit to him from all his wealth, and all his gains!
3. Burnt soon will he be in a Fire of blazing Flame!
4. His wife shall carry the (crackling) wood - as fuel! -
5. A twisted rope of palm-leaf fibre round her (own) neck!
9 October 2015